The body of missing hiker Lily Hooper has been found eight days after she disappeared while hiking in the NSW Southern Highlands.
The experienced hiker was last seen leaving her parents’ home on Burragorang Road at Oakdale, south-west of Sydney, at about 8am last Wednesday.
Lily’s family were mistakenly told the 18-year-old had been found alive at Nattai National Park just after 11am on Thursday, before police clarified they were still working to determine her condition.
NSW Police then confirmed she had been found dead.
Assistant Commissioner Joseph Cassar APM, Southern Region Commander said Lily’s parents were notified of the tragic mistake around eight to 10 minutes after an SES volunteer first reported Lily had been found alive.
‘I think it would be fair to say that they were informed from initial information that the searchers believed that she was alive, and that’s what was communicated. But like I said, within the eight to 10 minutes, we were able to give an update, which was a more accurate account of the discovery of the person we believe to be Lily,’ Asst. Commissioner Cassar said.
‘The area is thick, dense terrain. We’ve got hundreds of searchers out there. They’re carrying handheld communication devices, and as you can appreciate, we’ve all experienced it. Sometimes the communication is a challenge.’
The mix-up had led NSW Premier Chris Minns to announce at a budget estimates hearing that Lily had been found alive in the bush with ‘half a bottle of water’.
Minutes later, he told the same inquiry that Lily was dead.
‘She has been found deceased, and I only raise that because I gave earlier advice,’ he said.
The body of missing hiker Lily Hooper has been found eight days after she disappeared in the NSW Southern Highlands
NSW Police have clarified that a body was found during the search after it was revealed Lily’s family were mistakenly told she was alive
Rescuers were seen comforting devastated loved ones near the site on Thursday morning
‘This is obviously devastating, and I am profoundly sad for the family and all those concerned.’
Minns then issued an apology via a statement shortly after speaking in NSW Parliament.
‘Advice I received earlier today relating to Lily Hooper was incorrect. I genuinely believed I was sharing good news,’ he said.
‘My deepest condolences are with Lily’s family. I am profoundly sorry to think that anything I said may have added to their heartbreak at an already devastating time.’
NSW Police also clarified that a body has been found.
‘While yet to be formally identified, the body is believed to be that of the 18-year-old woman,’ a spokesman said.
‘A report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.’
The news comes just days after Lily’s heartbroken family thanked authorities for their ‘desperate’ efforts as search teams scoured the bushland.
NSW Police are reportedly working with local officers to determine how the error was made
Family and friends were seen consoling each other at the search’s command post
Nearly 100 Australian Defence Force members joined the search for Lily, alongside NSW Police, NSW SES and the Lifesaver 21 rescue helicopter crew
‘We would like to thank all the emergency services and volunteers for their support and continued commitment to the search, not only during the day but throughout the night,’ they said.
‘We desperately want to bring Lily home safe and we ask as the search continues, to keep our family and Lily in your thoughts.’
Lily’s father Jim Hooper previously asked the public to send out ‘love and energy’ in the hopes authorities would find his daughter alive.
‘I’m very upset. I just want everyone to cross their fingers,’ he told 2SM on Monday.
‘I just want everyone to throw love and energy because we’ve got to go and find her. She’s got to be in there somewhere. It’s been too long.’
The grim discovery comes after search and rescue teams navigated through challenging terrain, with the Bonnum Pic trek involving extensive rock scrambling, bush bashing and difficult route finding.
A popular trail guide app, which describes the 16-kilometre trail as ‘strenuous’, warns hikers to ‘proceed cautiously’ on the route.
‘Generally considered a highly challenging route, it should only be attempted by experienced adventurers. This trail is great for hiking and walking, and it’s unlikely you’ll encounter many other people while exploring,’ the app states.
Nattai National Park is a short drive south-west of Sydney, and features spectacular trails
Hikers have described the trek as involving extensive rock scrambling and bush bashing
It also warns there is a ‘weak’ and ‘unreliable’ mobile signal on the route.
‘Definitely download maps as trail was often hard to find in [the] middle section. Would not recommend to do solo as we had safety in numbers,’ one local hiker warned.
Another said: ‘We did find ourselves off track and doing a fair bit of bush bashing to get back on track.’
